The Seeds and Soil Project
Are you looking for a way to grow some of your food at home?
Who can get a seed and soil package?
- People in Ottawa living on lower incomes or who have lost their job due to COVID-19
- Must have access to a personal yard (can be small)
- You must be able to pick up your soil
What is included in a seed and soil package?
Each package comes with:
- 6-7 different types of seed (swiss chard, kale, turnip, cabbage, beets, peas, yellow and green beans)
- Soil: an amount equal to 3 black/blue recycling boxes full
- Basic instructions and links to other information on how to grow
Maximum 1 package per household
How do I get my package?
- Come to the Rothwell United Church Gardens, 42 Sumac St, Gloucester, ON K1J 6P7
- We are open JUNE 01 – 04 from 11am to 3pm
- Please wear a mask and maintain social distancing
What should I bring?
- You will need a vehicle as the soil is heavy
- Please bring three recycling blue or black boxes (or similar sized containers) to shovel soil into
- Bring a shovel
Is there a cost for the seeds and soil packages?
No. The seeds and soil packages are being provided free of charge to people living on lower incomes or who have lost their job during COVID-19, through the generous support of the City of Ottawa, Just Food and Greely Sand & Gravel.